Tuesday, February 4, 2014

We are "Those People"

Contrary to popular belief, I generally don't like people.

Once upon a time, I thought I liked people, but now that I am 28 and past the "I need to please everyone!" stage of life, I can truly say that I am not a people person. Yes, I like to people watch - they intrigue me. And don't get me wrong, I will talk your ear off if I like you. But at the end of my work week, my ability and need to placate people and pretend to be nice when I don't actually like someone is just gone. 

This probably makes me sound terrible.  If so, lucky for you, I married Aaron.

Aaron loves everyone. Everyone loves Aaron.  Aaron makes friends with anything that will stand still long enough to listen to him.  What I lack in the ability to choke down people's BS, Aaron thrives on. He's the nice one, I'm the mean one and we like it that way.

Back in September, we got married. Before we got married, I said we wouldn't be "those people" and for my friends to tell me if we became "those people."  You know, the ones that get married and fall off the face of the earth? Guess what? 

We are totally those people! I get those people now!! They are MY people!

Weekend before last, we were super anti-social.  Friday night, I stayed home and scrap-booked.  Saturday, we spent the entire day inside, Aaron playing xBox while I had a Hart of Dixie marathon, and Sunday we managed to venture out to go to church and grocery shop.  Not once did we see friends.  And I was okay with that.

Aaron is not okay with that.

This is probably a good thing.  Probably why I married him. Otherwise, I would be a super independent social hermit for the rest of my life. Not an actual hermit.  I like to be on the go - I go shopping, I go to book stores and coffee shops, and I go on trips.  But I am A-okay with it just being me. Aaron calls this my only child syndrome, but also appreciates my only-child syndrome and my need for space.  This means he gets boy days and xBox time.   

So, in response to our weekend of social hermitness (yep, I totally just made up that word), we spent as much time as we could with people this past weekend.

Friday we had dinner with our friends Danny and Sarah.
Saturday morning I helped a friend move.
Saturday afternoon I went to a "Valentine Crafternoon' at another friend's house.
Sunday we had lunch with a friend and went to a Superbowl party.

Holy moly.

That is a LOT of people time. Probably maxed me out for a while, but surprisingly, I had fun.  I've decided I like this whole newly wed thing.  People don't care if you are social hermits.  In fact, they're so much happier to see you when you do come out to play.  Most importantly, they also don't get offended if you don't come out to play. It's awesome!

My name is Sarah, I married Aaron and we have happily become "those people."   

2 comments:

  1. I'm one of your people too Sarah! Fortunately I've been the receiving end of ear-talking-off (I made up my own word too). Next time I see you, you can talk my ear off about HArt of Dixie, because I love it too!

    ReplyDelete